It soothe digestives issues, boosts metabolism, eliminates bloat, lowers cholesterol, removes stains and whitens teeth. These are but a few of the healthy benefits of one secret product likely lurking in your pantry. Can you guess?
I’m talking about apple cider vinegar!
I know it may be hard to swallow, but if you read-up on ACV as I have, you’ll see some very convincing reasons for incorporating it into your everyday routine, including:
- It boosts your metabolism and promotes easier weight loss: That’s because apple cider vinegar contains an organic acid called acetic acid. And before you worry about ingesting ‘acid’, this one is similar to how lemon juice’s citric acid helps to detoxify. Except in ACV’s case, acetic acid is linked to an improved metabolism, is alkaline-forming, and medically proven to support weight loss.
- It lowers blood sugar levels – In the medical journal Diabetes Care, researchers found if you took two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and water before your meal, it decreased your blood sugar levels by 6 percent, which is particularly great for diabetics. This also means that if your blood sugar is going to spike after meals, by taking ACV, you’re less likely to get a sudden crash effect.
- It supports gut health, including digestion: Along with better metabolism, the acetic acid contained in ACV provides enzymes and probiotics which help fight acid reflux as well as promote better digestive function (less bloat!). It also eats-up grains, which helps with higher carb meals.
It’s no wonder ACV is in nearly every cleansing or detox drink – right? Or that drinking vinegars are now the hottest thing?
If you’re ready to start adding ACV (I know I am!) to your daily routine, here are 3 easy ways:
- Make leading health expert Dr. Axe’s detox drink that uses ACV, cayenne, lemon juice and cinnamon. He recommends consuming this drink three times daily 20 minutes before meals for two weeks, then consuming it one time daily, before breakfast or lunch.
- Try this delicious salad dressing! Food blogger @pinchofyum recently shared her brussel sprouts salad, and it looks amaze. Though you can add the dressing to pretty much any salad of your choosing.
- At nighttime, mix 2 tbsp. (30 ml) of ACV into a large glass of water, and drink 1 hour before bedtime.
2 tips worth noting:
- Do not drink ACV straight-up as the acid can be hard on your stomach, and your teeth.
- Buy only unfiltered, unheated and unpasteurized ACV, such as Bragg’s.
To read more about ACV (including its ability to lower cholesterol and blood pressure), here’s a great article by Dr. Axe.
Until next time, bottoms up to better health!